Friday, October 4, 2013

Fire Writer Friday - Carmel Harrington


Cowboy Marvin loves listening to the Written Fireside stories and is having great fun learning a little more about the Fire Writers  

Graciously, those who have authored a part of the round robin story have agreed to stop by, one each Friday, and visit with my curious goat. 


Stopping by this Friday is







Carmel Harrington           




Howdy Mrs. Harrington, I'm delighted you are here.

Are you a night owl or early bird? 

Night owl all the way!

Interesting.  I bed down with the herd at dark.  It is best to be near the center, warm, cozy that way if some strange critter shows up, I'm safe.  

Moving on, who would you be, Batman or Robin?

Neither, everyone knows that I'm really Wonder Woman!  I have the hot pants to prove it! 






Hot pants?  Pants that are hot?  


You humans sure have to do strange things to stay warm.  


I guess goats are lucky.  





So tell me would you take a taxi or a limo if they were the same price?

Limo, with the obligatory cheap champagne too!

Champagne?  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Applejack ma'am.  Far better.  Trust me, Mrs. H.  Can I call you Mrs. H?  Or would you mind Carmel?   

Hey wait is that like the candy caramel?



Do you know what's good with caramel? 

APPLES!



My humans say I'm easily distracted.  I don't understand why.  

So tell me Carmel,  mmmmm caramel... caramel apples...oh oh um what was the last song you listened to? 



Jake and the Neverland Pirates 

Yep, that IS my life.  


How about your taste in movies, do you like scary, comedy, romance or adventure?

Romantic comedy- see I managed to throw two together, I'm cheeky like that!



You should watch Goats.  I mean the movie not me of course.  It's a comedy. 


Then again if you want to watch me, please do anytime, I love attention.



Tell me what season do you like best, Spring, Summer, Winter or Fall? 


Winter because that's when Christmas is. 

I love Christmas too, many goats do, unless there is snow. 


Snow makes my hooves wet.  I hate that.  


Hey, would Kidd Rock like to see my favorite goat video for Jingle Bells?  If he would just click on the adorable picture to the right.



Would you tell me a place you've never been to but would love to visit? 


New Zealand.  

Where they filmed The Lord of the Rings?  I'd be up for that trip, lots of green stuff to nom nom nom.





So Carm- I think I'd better call you Mrs. H.  Would you swim in the ocean or a pool? 

Ocean once it's not sub zero temperatures.




How would you go camping - sleeping bag under the stars, tent, trailer, fancy RV, or a hotel with room service?

Oh can I have a fancy RV please.  With all the gadgets.



If it is within my power my lady I would grant your wish.




Do you mean a fully armed recreational vehicle? 




Or something simpler? 







One last question.  A goat walks through your door right now wearing a cowboy hat.  What does he say and why is he there?

"I hear this is a great place for a party!"  He's in fancy dress of course, because that's how we roll in the H house!  




Party at the H house with Rodney!




Lovely chatting with you Mrs. H.

I'm off to get my tux fitted.







Carmel is a fellow Harper Impulse author
and was a Fire Writer for 

Check out her First Fight Friday interview.



Her debut book, available on Amazon,

Beyond Grace's Rainbow

has already gathered praise:

“There were some of the happiest life-affirming moments in this novel which were followed by some of the most devastating moments I’ve ever read.” She Loves To Read
“Beyond Grace’s Rainbow is a bittersweet, quietly brilliant novel that will make you cry, laugh and cry all over again.” Female First Magazine


Grace is a young single mother, who receives life changing news. She has cancer and her best chance of surviving, is to find a bone marrow transplant from a family member. As Grace is adopted and her previous attempt at connecting with her birth mother failed, this causes her some problems. With the help of her friends she bravely embarks on a journey of discovery to find out who her biological parents are. This search will bring her from Dublin to Wexford where she must unravel a web of lies and deceit that has spanned over thirty years.

And just when she thinks life can get no more complicated, Jack’s father Liam is back in town full of remorse and he’s made it clear that he’s not leaving until he’s won her back. Liam was the love of Grace’s life but can she trust him ever again?

Helping Grace muddle her way through her cancer treatment and complicated love life are her friends – Tara, Sean, Abby, Tom and Gerry. Tara is Grace’s cousin and is happily married to Sean and they are desperate for a baby of their own; Abby, Grace and Tara’s friend from college is single and looking for her one true love which is proving difficult, whilst Tom would be happy if his boyfriend Gerry for once didn’t max out their credit card!

Beyond Grace’s Rainbow will bring the reader into Graces world where friendship, courage, loyalty, laughter and above all love are abundant. The story will bring you on an emotional journey with Grace and her friends that will have the reader both laughing and crying at the turn of a page.


Excerpt.

Grace was abruptly pulled back from her daydreaming by a demand from Gerry. ‘Right Grace, I’m in suspenders here for too long!


Why are we all here? Don’t tell me you’re preggers again!’ Gerry laughs.

‘Nah couldn’t be that Gerry, the sperm of the devil hasn’t been around for years now!’ Tara joked.

Tara was talking about Liam. She never missed an opportunity to have a dig at him, never forgiving him for leaving Grace on her own.

‘Very funny Tara. When are you going to stop laying into Liam? He’s guilty of a lot of things, but sperm of the devil is going a bit far I think. Remember he’s Jack’s Dad.’ Grace responded a bit sharply.

Seeing Tara’s hurt face made Grace feel instantly guilty for snapping at her. She was only joking after all. She smiled lamely to try to take the sting out.

‘Gerry is right thought. I’ve put off telling you my news for long enough now. I did get you guys around here for a reason.’ Making sure everyone had a full glass, Grace figured it was now or never.

‘No getting anything past you lot! I’m not sure how to start.’ Grace faltered. ‘This is harder than I thought.’

‘Are we talking ‘It could happen to you’ kind of news? Gerry interrupted with a smile. ‘Nicholas Cage, Rosie Perez winning the lotto. Nick gives half his winnings to a waitress played by Bridget Fonda. Rosie goes frigging nuts!’ With every word Gerry’s voice had raised a pitch with excitement.

‘Jaysus Gerry, you don’t have to give a synopsis of every movie you quote – we have been to the cinema on occasion too you know!’ Tom quipped.

‘Fraid’ not, Gerry. No lotto wins here. No Nick Cage either for that matter! I suppose it’s more of a Terms of Endearment moment actually.’ Grace responded.

Gerry loved it when his friends played along with him. With a big grin he started his narrative.

‘Jack Nicholson, Shirley McClaine, Debra Winger. God Jack was gorgeous in that movie. As for Shirley, she was simply divine. Can you guys remember that scene in the hospital? I swear I needed Valium because I was crying so much.’

And with that Gerry stopped. The meaning of what Grace had just said hit him and for everyone else too. Four pairs of eyes turned away from Gerry and looked at their friend.‘Right, I need you guys to be strong. No tears, OK?’ They all nodded silently, so Grace continued. ‘It’s a bit of a bitch, but I’ve got cancer.’

This was the first time that Grace’s friends had all been silent. Tom found his voice first of all. ‘Grace, this is one sick joke. Not even a good one. See, nobody’s laughing.’ He gestured maniacally around the room.Grace thought this was the first time she’d ever seen Tom look scared.

‘It’s not a joke though, is it?’ Abby asked Grace.

‘No pet. It’s no joke. Or at least if it is, the joke is on me.’ Grace answered softly.

Sean then spoke quietly. ‘If you guys have any questions, I’ll answer them for you.’

Tara jumped up then, angrily pointing at Sean, barely able to get the words out, ‘You knew about this Sean? You knew and didn’t tell me.’

About Carmel: 

With my husband Roger and two beautiful children Amelia and Nate, I live a pretty idyllic life in Ireland, full of stories, songs, hide and seek, Mickey Mouse, walks on the beach, tickles, kisses, chocolate treats and most of all abundant love. To make life even more perfect, I have now fulfilled a lifetime ambition to be a writer as I am both a published author with Harper Impulse, a division of Harper Collins Publishers and a sometimes playwright. I believe in Happily Ever After’s because that’s what happened to me.



Follow Carmel Harrington online




Thanks for stopping by Carmel!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...