Friday, January 10, 2014

Fire Writer Friday Follow Up: Lynn Marie Hulsman

Cowboy Marvin has a January treat.

One of his favorite
Fire Writers
 is stopping by for a
Fire Writer Friday Follow Up.








Lynn Marie Hulsman   
     




Hey Ms. Hulsman, thank you so much for keep the blog hoping and for coming back to visit with me again today.  By the way your Dried Cherry and Dark Chocolate Loaf was amazing.  I love cherries.  
  
Now I've a few questions for you. 

What were you doing the last time you looked at a clock and realized you had lost all track of time? 

I was out for a girls' night with some fabulous women. We marvel at how months go by without our seeing each other or catching up unless someone regularly organizes outings and we pen the dates firmly into our calendars. I pushed the group to start early — 7 p.m. — so I could be home and on the couch in front of Downton Abbey by 9 p.m. Eight of us started out at a fun Mediterranean restaurant called Balkanika in Hell's Kitchen.

Dips and hors d'oeuvres were eaten, and bottles of wine came and went. The girls peeled off one by one, until it was just me with my amazing, adventurous, intelligent friend Zahava. 
I thought we were walking toward our apartments, when suddenly I was seated at the bar of some Italian place with a 

Sambuca the size of a fish tank at my elbow, complete with floating espresso beans. These days, I'm an early-to-bed person. Checking my phone on the way home, I was stunned to read 2:48 a.m.! It's the kind of thing I only do a few times a year, but it was worth it.



If you haven't really you should try AppleJack.

Actually dump the drink and just munch the apples, nothing beats a crisp, crunchy apple.




What movie, no matter how many times you've seen it, do you have to watch when it's on? 

Sixteen Candles. John Hughes really knew how to get into the heads of teenager.

Every time I watch it, I literally ache from the muscle memory of being sixteen and having a crush on the hottest guy in school. I love the fact that Molly Ringwald, the girl who gets the guy, isn't model beautiful. 

It's a gold mine of catch phrases, and I can recite every one right along with the actors (much to the annoyance of my husband!).



A movie about a birthday party?  


What a cool idea. 


Did you know that goats are party animals?  


I not only wouldn't have forgotten her birthday, I would've shown her a goaty good time.




What is one of the things you have or would put on your "bucket" list? 

To live for a year in England and/or Ireland. At least a year! I want to pick a village, live in a normal house, go to normal supermarkets, shops, and drugstores, send my kids to school and camp, and do what the locals do. 


I get the appeal of Ireland, lots of green stuff to nom, nom, nom but what's with all the sheep.  They're not bad creatures but they're... sheep.  



My husband plays guitar and a lot of other stringed instruments, and has always been an afficionado of English folk music and traditional Irish music, so he could stay busy. I'd devote all my time to soaking up the culture, and writing books.

I'd love to play a musical instrument but my hooves complicate matters.  


Tell me, other than this amazing goat, what's your favorite animal and why? 

The naked mole rat. If you've never seen them at a zoo, housed in transparent tubes that mimic their underground tunnel systems, I urge to you run and not walk to do so. 

They're blind, since they live in the dark, so they do everything by touch, including seeking out friends, and passing each other in the narrow tubes. Hilariously, they back up like little trucks instead of turning around to change direction. It goes without saying that they're naked, so they're all pink and vulnerable, like little babies. When our family left Erie, PA, after having seen NMR's in the zoo, we spontaneously made up a song with a repeating chorus called "Goodbye, Naked Mole Rats."  






The only rats I've met sneak into the barn and steal my oats so no offense but I'll take little kid cuteness over those pink, furless creatures.  






Lynn Marie Hulsman, Harper Impulse Author, wrote for

She is the co-author of

 The Irish Pantry with Chef Noel McMeel 
and
Make Your Own Soda with Chef Anton Nocito (Clarkson Potter)




And if you need a fun, festive treat to warm you up on cold winter nights, check out Lynn's wonderful debut romantic comedy!

Christmas at Thornton Hall


available on Amazon now.





BLURB:

When Juliet Hill unwittingly discovers a most-definitely-not-hers-rhinestone-studded lace thong in her high-flying lawyer boyfriend's apartment, this usually feisty chef is suddenly single and facing a very blue Christmas - with only a ready meal for one to keep her company!

So when she's personally requested to cater for the family at Thornton Hall three days before Christmas, it's not long before Juliet's standing at the (back) door of the impossibly grand ancestral pile.

The halls are decked, the guests are titled, those below the stairs are delightfully catty, and all-American Juliet sets to work cooking up a glorious British Christmas with all the trimmings.

But other flames are burning besides those on the stove... Sparks fly with Edward, the gorgeous ex-soldier turned resident chef, and are those sidelong looks Juliet's getting from her boss, the American tycoon Jasper Roth?

As the snow starts to fall on the idyllic Cotswolds countryside, so does the veneer of genteel high society and there are more than a few ancient skeletons rattling out of the Hall's numerous dark cupboards!


CHRISTMAS AT THORNTON HALL is a country house romance for the modern age, a must-read for fans of the scandals and drama of Downton Abbey and the charm and wit of Helen Fielding.


Lynn Marie Hulsman is a novelist in New York City where she lives with her husband and two children.

Follow Lynn Marie online: Website Facebook Twitter Blog    


Thanks for coming back Lynn Marie!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...