Friday, April 17, 2015

First Fight Friday: A Man Who Can See The Future by W.J.Lane



Goats solve their differences head-on. They don’t give the silent treatment or yell, they butt heads, and then it’s over.

Cowboy Marvin has learned humans resolve issues differently especially those romantically involved. His curiosity sparked, he has invited authors to stop by on Fridays and share the first fight from one of their books.




Author  



W.J.Lane



     is here for...




First Fight Friday 

with a scene from


A Man Who Can See The Future

Bill can see the future and he has foreseen his attacker, Phil, is plotting a hug terrorist attack. In the lead up to this scene Bill has been trailing and following Phil for months, waiting for a chance to intervene and stop the attack. This is part of the finale wherein 
Bill attempts to stop the terrorist.

firstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfigh

Prologue

So I’m momentarily knocked out and wake up with a gun in my mouth. Phil is knelt on my chest - his manic eyes are inches from my face, his overweight frame crushing my lungs and slowly seeping the life from me. He is snarling words at me that I can barely understand as my ears are ringing wildly. A liquid runs down the back of my right leg and I assume it’s from the gunshot wound and not my bladder, as he pins me to the concrete floor. 

Over his shoulder, I see a women fleeing from the back of the van, its destructive cargo still lying in wait. Off to my right I see the detonator in pieces. Phil, now recognising both these occurrences, is further enraged and swings his elbow across the side of my face. 

I can taste all of the following things; blood, sweat, saliva, metal, powder, and oil. 

“WHY DID YOU HAVE TO GET INVOLVED?” Phil screams at me whilst taking a couple more swipes with his elbow, each one giving me a brief window for breath as he has to remove the gun from my mouth to do so. Each one chipping a tooth or two as he shoves the barrel back down my throat.

I swallow several chunks of enamel during these blows. The barrel of the gun tastes smooth and polished against my tongue, and I can feel tiny indentations and markings along the surface with it. My ears have been pierced by the gunshots and I can now feel blood trickling down the side of my face.

I am going to die - this much is certain. The damage is already done and I am strangely content knowing this, the bile and rage spewing forth from my attacker is virtually irrelevant. 

I know all these things at this point; that this will be my last day on earth; that Alice will be safe; that it is hard to breath with a gun in your mouth; that having a 17 stone man pressing on your chest is uncomfortable; that Alice will take care of Dex for me; that I will make the news. 

Phil pulls the gun out of my mouth, and his tears shower my face as he strikes me across the side of the head with its butt. I black out again and must be seconds from death because various things flash before my eyes.

I see myself wetting the bed as a kid, calling for a mother who doesn’t appear. I see my dad drinking heavily on my birthday whilst my mother lambastes him for it. Later I see dad disappear forever after him and mum had a huge row. I see myself running away from home as a teenager and sleeping on various friends’ floors, eventually returning to the family home months later, just in time to watch my mother slowly getting ill and then die in front of me. 

I see myself losing my virginity to a hooker at 17 - spending £60 for the pleasure. I see flashbacks of my various careers including roadie, musician, writer, magician, window cleaner, electrician, painter and decorator and psychic. I see Dex licking my face to wake me up from a hideous hangover, and Alice snuggling up to me in the back of the cinema. I see my shitty flat complete with rising damp and Dex’s various stains. 

I see my crappy life fading into nothing and it doesn’t matter anymore. 

I just see Alice happy and it’s all I need.

I see her smile and I am ready for death.

I close my eyes because I’m ready for death.

I hear a gunshot and am ready for death.
Copyright © W.J.Lane
firstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfightfridayfirstfigh

A Man Who Can See The Future by W.J.Lane

My name is Bill and I can see the future. 

It’s a gift, a curse, and also a career. 

It’s my day job to read peoples futures and then desperately try and tell them something positive about it. See, people think the future will be a lot better than current evidence would suggest. 

People think they will be happier, more successful, richer and more content - people think the future holds all the answers and that their dreams will come true someday.
I can see the future and this is rarely the case. 

Then one day I see a bomb site - I see corpses - I see hundreds of innocent people slaughtered in a shopping mall using a huge homemade bomb. I see all of this in the future of Phillip Green; the middle aged, mild mannered, overweight and balding insurance manager. 

I see all of this but I can’t tell anyone because nobody believes you when you claim to see the future. 

So it’s left to me, my loyal canine companion, and my on / off again girlfriend to stop him - or at least convince somebody to listen. 


"Very good read.....kept you reading to find out the fate of the characters. Would recommend and read anything else by this new inspiring author." Amazon review

A Man Who Can See The Future
is available on


William's Bio:

William Lane is an exciting young writer from England. Hailing from the eclectic town of Bristol, he has spent many years working as a freelance journalist on various online blogs and magazines, whilst completing many works of fiction. He has also actively pursed various styles of writing in order to hone his craft and gain experience including graphic novels, TV scripts, screenplays and movie and music reviews. 
At the age of just 28 he published his first novel, A Man Who Can See The Future.
He also maintains a regular blog over at wjlane.com, and uses it as an outlet for various ramblings, opinions and promotions.
For a few years he was the lead singer and bassist of heavy metal band Circle Sea, and currently lives with his long term girlfriend, their small pet dog and a bearded dragon, in the heart of Bristol.


Follow W.J.Lane online
Thanks for sharing William!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...